Kevin Rose, de oprichter van Digg en de
mede-oprichter van Revision3 en Pownce heeft op twitter meer dan 88,000 follower (daarmee is hij de second most followed na President Obama).
Hij heeft via Techcrunch 10 manieren bekend gemaakt om het aantal volgers op Twitter te vergroten.
- Explain to your followers what retweeting is and encourage them to retweet your links. Retweeting pushes your @username into foreign social graphs, resulting in clicks back to your profile. Track your retweets using retweetist.
- Fill out your bio. Your latest tweets and @replies don’t mean much to someone that doesn’t know you. Your bio is the only place you have to tell people who you are. Also, your bio is displayed on Twitter’s Suggested Users page. Leaving it blank or non-descriptive doesn’t encourage people to add you.
- As @garyvee says, “link it up.” Put links to your Twitter profile everywhere. Link it on your Digg, LinkedIn, Facebook, blog, email signature, and everywhere else you live online. Also, check out the great feedburner-like badges from TwitterCounter for your blog.
- Tweet about your passions in life and #hash tag them. Quality content coupled with an easy way to find it never fails. If others enjoy your content, they’ll add you. Learn more about #hash tagging here.
- Bring your twitter account into the physical world. Every time I give a talk, speak on a panel, shoot a podcast, present slides, or hand out business cards, I figure out a way to broadcast or display my twitter account.
- Take pictures. Pictures are heavily retweeted/spread around. This one from US Airways Flight 1549 has been viewed 350,000+ times. For mobile pics use iPhone apps such as Tweetie or Twitterific, both which support on the go uploading.
- Start a contest. @jasoncalcanis offered a free macbook air if he reached the #1 most followed spot. That never happened, but Jason added thousands of followers…brilliant.
- Follow the top twitter users and watch what they tweet. Pay attention to the type of content they sent out and how they address their audiences.
- Reply to/get involved in #hash tag memes. search.twitter.com lists the hot
‘trending topics. Look for the #hash topics and jump in on the
conversation (see #4 for links to #hash instructions).
- Track your results. TwitterCounter will show you how many new users you’re adding per day and Qwitter will email you when someone unfollows you after a tweet.